Septic System Maintenance
Quality Septics Tips for a Healthy Septic System
It is so important to the health of your septic system that you have your tank pumped out on a regular basis, we suggest every three years. The majority of issues we see with septic tanks is the lack of attention they get UNTIL you have a backup or a problem with slow drainage or a problem with flushing!
You can help improve your septic tanks’ efficiency by conserving water whenever possible. Try to space out water usage as much as possible throughout the week..this allows your septic system to rest properly. It can be as simple as doing your wash throughout the week instead of on just one day.
OTHER TIPS ABOUT YOUR SEPTIC TANK FROM QUALITY SEPTIC ARE LISTED BELOW
- NEVER allow excess amounts of grease or fat into your tank as they can clog and disrupt the flow into your drain field. REMEMBER…everything that you flush or put down a sink in your home – goes into your septic tank!
- NEVER allow trucks or cars to drive or park on top of your septic tank or drain field area. They can be crushed and would need to be repaired or replaced. This would be very costly.
- DO NOT hook a water softener system to your septic system. The residue and salt from the water softener will destroy the GOOD bacteria action in your tank and will weaken the tank’s ability to break down the solid waste in the tank.
- DO NOT use an excessive amount of laundry soaps, detergents, chemical drain cleaners, bleach or other household chemical cleansers…again these will destroy the GOOD bacteria in your tank to keep your system from working properly.
- DO NOT ignore any water leaks in your home. A leaky toilet or faucet can eventually make your drain field hydraulically overloaded. This means that your drain field will become saturated with water. When this happens, your drain field will not work properly and might need to be repaired or replaced. This will cost a homeowner thousands of dollars! Please fix these leaks ASAP.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU PUMP OUT YOUR SEPTIC TANK?
Quality Septic recommends all homeowners to have their septic tank pumped out every 3 (three) years as routine maintenance for their home. Having your tank pumped out removes the solids or “sludge” at the bottom of your tank. The solids MUST be pumped out on a regular basis so the solids do not filter out into your drain field where clogging could occur. This type of clogging can cause your septic system to function poorly and will eventually cause your drain field to fail completely. Common signs of this failure are as follows:
- Lush vegetation or grass growing over the drain field area.
- A sewage backup into your home in showers, sinks or overflowing toilets.
- Surface or standing water over the drain field area in your yard
- Odor or slow drainage from your home’s bathrooms, showers, tubs or sinks.
If any of the symptoms above are happening to you or you have any other septic issues or questions..Give us a call. We are here to help !!