Major septic system repairs are never fun, and they’re not cheap. Sometimes, needing extensive repairs or even a new septic system install is unavoidable. Other times, these services are very avoidable, and Quality Septic Inc. of Plant City, FL, is going to tell you how.
You have a lot of control over the longevity of your septic system
As a homeowner, you can extend the life of your septic system and thereby avoid costly septic system repair bills. There are two primary ways to do this:
1. Schedule periodic inspections, tank pumping and needed repair work by an experienced septic company
2. Use your system correctly and watch for signs of trouble
Septic inspections can save you big money
Licensed septic inspections can catch small problems so they can be resolved before they become major septic system repair issues. Inspections should happen at the same time you have your septic tank pumped out. Keep in mind that not all “septic companies” offer a complete menu of services. Some only pump out tanks. Others only do installs. Some inspectors do nothing but inspect. Ask the reps of the companies you contact to find out exactly where their experience lies.
Schedule septic tank cleaning as needed
Septic tank pumping is more vital than you might think. Fluids rise to the top of the tank and proceed on to the drain field, while sludge and solids recede to the bottom and begin filling up the tank. When this buildup becomes excessive, bad things can happen. The sludge that accumulates in the septic tank is supposed to be decomposed by bacteria. However, if you have a large family, insufficient bacteria or are flushing the wrong things, sludge can build to the point that it causes a blockage. If left unaddressed, the blockage can lead to septic system failure.
Watch for these signs of a system that’s failing or heading toward it:
- Bad odors inside or outside your home
- Slow sink and tub drains
- Backed-up or overflowing toilets
- Wet areas of ground above or near your septic tank or drain field
If you notice any of these signs, schedule a septic inspection immediately.
What you can do to help keep your septic system healthy
Here are four tips you can start using right away.
- Never flush inappropriate items like feminine products, hair, anti-bacterial agents, paper towels, grease or cat litter
- Conserve water by turning off faucets when you’re not using them
- Don’t drive vehicles over the drain field or septic tank
- Find a septic company you trust and can depend on to help you determine a proper schedule for inspections and tank cleaning
Call your Florida septic experts today
Since 1994, Quality Septic has provided fast, friendly, reliable and affordable septic system inspections, repairs and maintenance for the Plant City, Florida, area. We’re here to not only work on and fix your system but also to educate you about the best ways to use and care for it. Arrange an appointment or get your questions answered at (813) 754-9891. You can also reach out with our handy contact form.